Use your subject


Almost without exception, graduates from this department progress to professional employment as Orthoptists within the National Health Service. Very small numbers in recent years have started in other roles related to eye care prior to securing a position as an orthoptist, or have progressed to further academic study, undertaking a higher degree by research.

As a start, use the resources below to create your own list of career ideas to research.

Remember that the vast majority of graduate jobs are open to graduates of any subject.

  • Look at what alumni from your department have done using the DLHE data we collect and through the University of Sheffield alumni page on LinkedIn.
  • Search for and contact alumni in your subject through our Graduate case studies database.
  • Browse the career ideas for Orthoptics graduates on Prospects (Optometrist) and Prospects (Orthoptist) and Targetjobs but keep in mind that these are not a comprehensive list of all the careers related to your subject.
  • Brainstorm ideas and do some initial investigation to find out about research, organisations, start-ups, government bodies and freelancers connected to your subject.

Since you have chosen a vocational degree, you are probably intending to follow the obvious route into Orthoptics. However, there are lots of other starting points for choosing a career and using your subject is just one of them. If you wish to consider other factors that are important to you, use our Understand yourself and your options section.

Detailed job profiles for a wide range of occupations are available from Prospects and include job descriptions, case studies, salary and conditions, entry requirements, training, typical employers and vacancies.

Academic and research related roles

Research fellows and research assistants are employed in organisations such as universities, research institutions, think-tanks, local and national government. Research staff will undertake research relating to public health and epidemiology often involved in research to address specific public health issues.

The roles may also involve teaching and lecturing. In is usual to be employed on a fixed term contract lasting the duration of the research project.

Use our Occupations section Research careers for more information and links to useful websites.

Academic lecturing / teaching

Higher Education lecturers/teachers teach their subject to undergraduate and postgraduate students via lectures, seminars, tutorials, practical demonstrations, field work and e-learning. Lecturers also pursue their own research with the aim of having this published in scholarly publications to help raise their institution's profile.

Administrative tasks are significant and many lecturers / teachers also take on a pastoral role with their students. Having a PhD is a prerequisite alongside experience such as research assistant or teaching assistant / demonstrator in HE.

Use our Occupations section Higher education for more information and links to useful websites.

Healthcare scientist

Involved in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. Working primarily for healthcare providers such as the NHS, healthcare science practitioners and scientists carry out a wide range of specialist scientific procedures. Depending on the role, you could be carrying out lab-based analysis of samples, working with specialist medical equipment, and assessing and treating patients.

Use our Occupations section Healthcare science for more information and links to useful websites.


Investigates, diagnoses and treats a range of eye conditions such as binocular vision and abnormalities of eye movement. Working with children you will treat misalignment of the eyes/squint and lazy eye. You will also have a lead role in childhood vision screening.

Use our Occupations section Allied health professionals for more information and links to useful websites.