Use your subject


Think about what 'using your subject' means to you and what you're really looking for. Do you want to apply your subject-specific knowledge or skills to the real world? Or maybe you want to continue to practice and develop these skills? Maybe it's a broader interest in your subject that you want to keep alive by working in a relevant type of organisation?

As a start, use the resources below to create your own list of career ideas to research.

Remember that the vast majority of graduate jobs are open to graduates of any subject.

  • Look at what alumni from your department have done using the DLHE data we collect and through the University of Sheffield alumni page on LinkedIn.
  • Search for and contact alumni in your subject through our Graduate case studies database.
  • Browse the career ideas for Education graduates on Prospects and Targetjobs but keep in mind that these are not a comprehensive list of all the careers related to your subject.
  • Brainstorm ideas and do some initial investigation to find out about research, organisations, start-ups, government bodies and freelancers connected to your subject.

Some career options

Our information resources - Occupations section is a good place to start to explore the following occupational areas. However you are not restricted to these and you should also consider any other additional factors which are important to you for your future career using our Understand yourself and your options section.

Community education officer

This role involves working with diverse communities, often in deprived areas, to engage individuals in training, skills development and education opportunities.

You may work with children, young people or adults, and this will vary depending upon the target client group of your organisation. Resilience, creativity, flexibility, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.

Although open to graduates from any subject, a degree in education is advantageous. Experience of working with communities, either paid or voluntary, is required.

Use our Occupations section Community, guidance and social care for more information and links to useful websites.

Education administrator

Working in a university, college or school, you will be responsible for the organisation and management of systems and processes.

This will typically involve areas such as admissions, exams and data, but could be based around a specialist project or department. IT skills, time management, organisation, interpersonal and communication skills are essential.

Although for entry level roles a degree is not usually required, it is advantageous. Specialist roles in education administration, such as marketing, may require specific professional qualifications.

Educational psychologist

Educational psychologists help children and young people aged 10-19 to learn and participate successfully in school and other activities. They work with a range of emotional and social problems or learning difficulties in partnership with parents, teachers, social workers, doctors and others involved education.

Observations, interviews and assessments of the child allow development of a range of interventions, such as learning programmes and collaborative work with teachers or parents.

You will need an undergraduate degree or postgraduate conversion course, and a Doctorate in educational psychology, both accredited by the British Psychological Society.

Local government officer

Based in a local authority, you will work with councillors, specialists and members of the public to put council policies into practice.

Education policy is one specialist area that an Officer might work within, but at more senior levels you may take responsibility for a number of areas. Knowledge of policy, project management, negotiation, organisation and communication skills are essential.

You will need a degree, but knowledge and experience of politics and local government is more important than degree subject.

Primary school teacher

Working with pupils from 3-11 years old, your role is to inspire them to learn the skills and social abilities appropriate for their age and aptitude.

You will design lessons and schemes of work based on the national curriculum, monitor the progress of pupils and prepare them for tests. Creativity, leadership, enthusiasm, time management and communication skills are essential.

You need to complete an undergraduate or postgraduate programme which results in Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for this role.

Secondary school teacher

Working with pupils from 11-18 years old, your role is to engage them in learning about a national curriculum subject area. You will design lessons, monitor progress, update your subject knowledge and prepare pupils for external exams.

Patience, an interest in young people, subject knowledge, organisation and communication skills are essential.

You usually need to complete a postgraduate programme resulting in Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for this role, and an undergraduate degree related to a national curriculum subject is advantageous.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)

Involves teaching English to people of all ages who are not native speakers. This can take place in the UK ie to refugees or immigrants, or abroad. Classes may be conducted in schools, colleges or universities, often through interactive exercises eg language games and role-playing in English, even for complete beginners. The aim is to improve communication through listening.

Speaking, reading and writing. Work involves lesson planning, developing teaching resources, involvement in social activities, marking work and giving feedback.

Use our Occupations section Teaching English as a foreign language for more information and links to useful websites.